In this Passive House Course, Passive House Consultant Mike Duclos teaches you how to apply Passive House principles in the real world to make passive house a reality.
In this Passive House course, Passive House Consultant Mike Duclos teaches how to apply Passive House principles in the real world. With a brief nod to theory and computation, this course will mainly focus on tips, tricks, pitfalls, and what to expect when making Passive House a reality. Through case studies, videos, readings, quizzes, and Mike’s guidance this passive house course you will enhance your ability to be a part of a Passive House project team, the most vital component of any successful Passive House project.
Through the lens of existing Passive House projects, expect to learn:
- How to pitch and promote the PH standard to stakeholders
- Considerations for client management in PH
- Budget evaluation and the feasibility of affordable PH
- How to evaluate the pros and cons of casement, fixed and tilt and turn windows, and other PH considerations
- Site evaluation examples, tips, and tricks
- Common pitfalls to avoid before, during, and after PH design and construction
- Avoiding common Passive House problems: thermal bridging, critters, moisture control, ventilation, etc.
- Climate considerations and implications
- How to assemble, manage and optimize your project team
- Identifying and minimizing project schedule risks
Continuing Education Units
Approved for: 10.5 PHIUS CPHC CEUs, 10 BPI CEUs.
About the Passive House Course Instructor:
Mike Duclos is a principal and founder of The DEAP Energy Group, LLC, a consultancy providing a wide variety of Deep Energy Retrofit, Zero Net Energy and Passive House related consulting services.
Mike was an energy consultant on the Transformations, Inc. Zero Energy Challenge entry, and has worked on a variety of Zero Net Energy, DER and Passive House projects, including two National Grid DER projects which qualified for the ACI Thousand Homes Challenge, Option B, and a feasibility study of a retrofit to the Passive House new home performance standard.
Mike is a HERS Rater with Mass. New Homes With ENERGY STAR program, a Building Science Certified Infrared Thermographer, a Certified Passive House Consultant who certified the second Passive House in Massachusetts, holds a BS in Electrical Engineering from UMass Lowell, and two patents.